Sunday, September 9, 2012

Chemotherapy for MS



As part of my journey I decided to take the alternate route to treatment for my Multiple Sclerosis. This was a decision that was taken between my Neurologist and I. We just had a discussion around 18 months ago that the traditional treatment of MS was not going to help me.

I had faith that there was to be an alternate route to having all the side effects from medication day in and day out. As I wanted to have a normal life as far as is possible with the situation I am in. So we decided that we will start Chemotherapy. The solution was to have Campath treatment once a year for three years. As this is an approved treatment for slowing down the breakdown of the Myelin sleeve in the brain.

But as this is still in the early days of the drug to be used the Medical does not pay, I was blessed as last year the company I work for paid all the expenses. This year I was blessed that I received the funds for this from alternate support.

So the question is always does it help? is there an improvement? Well honestly there are a number of answers to this:
  • No as I still really have crappy days where all is not well. (But that normally shocks the people so not the correct answer).
  • Yes as I do not have the side effects from the other Medication. (But does not answer the question)
  • No as I still have MS. (Also not the correct answer).
  • Well I need to wait and see what the future brings. ( Such a non answer responds)


But maybe the correct answer is:

I have taken this route and I have faith that this is the correct route for the people close to me and me currently. And that I will walk (maybe not that straight or easy) this route. I also have put my trust in the people close to me to support me during this part of the journey. I have also made peace that I will day by day feel different and have different experiences but that is also my journey that I have chosen.


Then the other Question is: How do you feel during the treatment?
  • Cold fever spells during the treatment.
  • Injection soars
  • Rash like reaction all over the body
  • Itching


This is just for the week of treatment and week after then all is back to the normal MS Symptoms like:
  • visual disturbances,
  • limb weakness,
  • muscle spasms,
  • loss of sensation, speech impediment, tremors, or dizziness,
  • depression,
  • paranoia,
  • Uncontrollable urge to laugh and weep.


So in short this is my journey currently with Chemotherapy and MS and I do believe that it is all in the Mind and that we will continue to have the fight to overcome MS with my loved ones by my side.

“My body could stand the crutches but my mind couldn't stand the sideline.”
Michael Jordan


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thats good, your blog is cool, i like it. Thanks for the efforts my friend.