Sunday, March 11, 2012

When is enough really enough!

So it’s interesting travelling through all the small towns and villages during the trip and spending time with the local people and communities. I have learnt so much. I have seen that us people from the cities have forgotten what life is about.

We (city people) have this ‘gather syndrome’, we have to gather so called ‘wealth’ in the form of cars,property, the right colour credit cards and anything else that the Jones’ have. Then spending time in rural South Africa I am learning that there is a different view of wealth.

As I sit in this small local Restaurant in Brandfort in the freestate and I look outside and see how proud the people are with what they have and with who they are. The community is making it work, Everybody is working and making a better life for themselves and the family and the community. The Afrikaans restaurant owner that is also the chef and the husband of the Russian waitress is proud of the community and shared with us the history of the town. The local people are all supporting them. In the other corner of the restaurant was four local business men, also enjoying lunch and planning the next business transaction.

Outside people are walking and kids are playing in a very peaceful environment. It is clear that people are proud of the town as there was no to rubbish laying around. If I look at our bigger cities, where we are all chasing that thing called wealth, we don't even see the mess we live in, or we just say "Can't someone clean it up" as we are too busy or too important to actually make a difference.

I have learned from the people that we are in a situation that might not be our ideal dream life but at least we should make it the best life we have. Not just for ourselves as individuals but also for the people around us, like family and the community.

If we all can just accept our personal situations and try to improve what is around us, this place we live in will be such a better place.

So I have learnt, by just taking time and making real peace with what we have. It is really great we do not always have to be better than anybody we just need to be a better self.

We need to have our own inner Peace!

It makes me think of the immortal words of John Lennon.

“Imagine there's no heaven

It's easy if you try

No hell below us

Above us only sky

Imagine all the people living for today

Imagine there's no countries

It isn't hard to do

Nothing to kill or die for

And no religion too

Imagine all the people living life in peace

You, you may say I'm a dreamer,

but I'm not the only one

I hope some day you'll join us

And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions

I wonder if you can

No need for greed or hunger

A brotherhood of man

Imagine all the people sharing all the world

You, you may say I'm a dreamer,

but I'm not the only one

I hope some day you'll join us

And the world will live as one”

No comments: